Autumn Offering: Get 25% Off All Real Estate Courses Promo Code FALL25

You Aren’t The First to Ask

Whether you’re new to online education or an old pro, you may have a question for us. In an effort to save you time, we’ve compiled some of our most frequently asked questions below. Just click on a question to read the answer, and if you don’t find the answer you’re looking for don’t hesitate to reach out to us via Live Chat by Calling 843-258-1120 or by emailing at .

1. I don’t have a Real Estate license in SC or in any other state, how do I get licensed?

All applicants must be over the age of 18 and have a high school diploma (or certificate of equivalency), and be lawfully present and eligible to work in the United States. If you have a law degree or a four-year baccalaureate degree from a higher education institution with a major in real estate, you do not have to take pre-licensing courses for any license type, or meet the experience requirements for Broker qualification. A transcript can be accepted and reviewed to authorize you to apply for the Sales, Broker or Property Manager Examination.

  • Salesperson license:

    You must complete the Commission approved pre-licensing Course (60 hours – Unit I Sales) then apply to take the SC Real Estate Sales examination. Before you apply for a license you will also need to complete an additional Unit II: Advanced Real Estate Principles course (30-hours). Passing Score sheets and proof of completion of the Unit II course must be submitted with your licensure application

  • Broker license

    You must have three (3) years of “Active” licensed salesperson experience within the last five (5) years prior to attempting to qualify for a broker license. You must complete the Commission approved Broker IIIA and IIIB pre-licensing courses (60 additional hours) then apply to take the SC Real Estate Broker Examination. After passing the examination, you can submit a Broker application with passing score sheets. Post examination applications will be provided by the exam provider PSI. A broker qualified applicant can also apply to
    become a Broker in Charge and establish an office under their supervision.

  • Property Manager license

    You must complete the Commission approved Property Management (30 hours) pre-licensing course then apply to take the South Carolina Property Manager Exam. After passing the examination, you can submit an application for a Property Manager or Property
    Manager in Charge license. Property Manager in Charge applicants must also complete a 7 hour PMIC class prior to issuance of an “in Charge” license. Post examination applications will be provided by the exam provider PSI.
    PDF Exam Application Link:
    Online Applications Link:

2. I’m a licensed Real Estate Salesperson or Broker in another jurisdiction, how do I get licensed in SC?

SCREC recognizes the qualifications of non-resident licensees of other jurisdiction, however one must still must apply for and take the SC portion of the real estate examination (and if applying to become a broker, meet the 3 years actively licensed sales experience requirements). With your examination application, you will need to submit certification(s) of licensure from any jurisdiction(s) in which you have held licensure in the last 5 years. You must also have been licensed within 6 months prior to SC Application. Resident applicants with licenses in other jurisdictions who have been residents for more than 6 months cannot qualify to take the S.C. examination with just a certification of licensure from another jurisdiction. The resident applicant will also need to take the following pre-licensing education:

  • For a Salesperson exam applicant

    A SC resident (for more than 6 months) with a license in another jurisdiction who will have to take Unit II: Advanced Real Estate Principles class (30 hours)

  • For a Broker exam applicant

    a SC resident (for more than 6 months) with a broker license in another jurisdiction will have to take Broker Unit IIIA and Broker Unit IIIB classes (60 hours)

    PDF Exam Application Link:
    Online Applications Link:

3. Do I have to give SCREC a copy of my Social Security Card?

Yes, our agency requires that we receive and verify social security numbers through a copy of the social security card prior to issuing any license for any licensing Board.

4. Which browsers are compatible with your courses?

5. I don’t have a Broker in Charge/Property Manager in Charge to supervise me or a company to work for. Can I get licensed now and seek employment later?

Yes, you will need to indicate that you don’t have a supervising broker/office code on your license application where it asks for BIC/PMIC office information and signature. You will be licensed but placed in “inactive” status until you activate under a supervising in charge licensee. If a provisional salesman, you still will be required to complete post-licensing education and upgrade prior to expiration of your license

6. How many hours of Continuing Education do I have to take? 

  • Ten (10) hours biennially if a SC resident licensee. 4 hours must be the core mandatory course and 6 hours must be electives. Brokers in Charge will have to take a mandatory BIC Responsibility 4 hour course in addition to the core course, and will only have to take 2 hours of electives.
  • If you are a non-resident and licensed in your resident jurisdiction, you have to meet the CE requirements of your resident state.
  • If you have 25 years of active licensed experience you may submit a request for Partial Continuing Education Exemption. If you meet the experience requirements based upon licensure in another jurisdiction, we will need you to obtain and submit certifications of licensure history.
  • If you are active duty military, you are exempt from CE while on active service

7. How do I place my license in Inactive Status?
Document #200

8. How do I re-activate my license?
Document #210

9. How do I transfer my license to another office? Document #200 or click the “Online Transfer” menu link on the SCREC webpage under Licensure Information, login and complete online

10. How do I change my personal name or address? Document #190 or for address changes, click the “Change Address” menu link on the SCREC webpage under Quick Links, login and complete online.

11. I’m an “In-charge” licensee, how do I change my Office/Company Name or Address?
Document #180

12. How can I put my license in “Referral” status?

There is no referral status recognized by the South Carolina Real Estate Commission. Your status is either “Active” or “Inactive”. Inactive licensees should not perform activities requiring real estate licensure including soliciting a referral fee. A Broker in Charge may at their discretion create a “referral” only limited service office for supervision of licensees who are not engaging in sales or other licensed real estate activities.

13. Can I pay a referral fee to an unlicensed person?

Soliciting a referral fee requires real estate licensure. S.C. Code 40-57-145(A)(11) says it is a violation for a licensee who “pays a commission or compensation to an unlicensed individual for activities requiring a license under this chapter. Notwithstanding this section, a licensee
may not pay or offer to pay a referral fee or finder’s fee to an unlicensed individual that is not a party in the real estate transaction.” Unlicensed Employees may not negotiate or agree to compensation based upon the listing, sales or rental of a property. A resident licensee may pay a portion of their commission to a licensee of another jurisdiction on a cooperative basis if the licensee does not perform real
estate activities requiring licensure in South Carolina.

14. How do I get a Partial Continuing Education Exemption?

You must have 25 years of licensed experience. The Partial CE Exemption request form can be found at,Document#220

15. How do I get standard contracts and forms to use in real estate transactions?

The SCREC only creates the South Carolina Residential Property Disclosure Statement and Addendum, the Disclosure of Agency Relationships, the Offer Rejection Form, the Designated Agency Agreement and Dual Agency Agreement forms. These can be found on the SCREC Page at

16. I have a criminal conviction. Can I get a South Carolina real estate license?

A criminal record does not in itself prevent you from being able to be licensed. Certain convictions are grounds for denial of licensure and will require that you appear before the Commission for an Application Hearing. You must complete pre-licensing requirements and submit an application for examination or licensure before a determination can be made as to whether your licensure can be approved by the
Administrator, or if it will require an appearance before
the Commission for a hearing

17. I’m an “In-Charge” licensee, how do I remove someone from my supervision/office?

Please send us a signed letter indicating the names and license numbers identifying the individuals you wish to remove from your supervision. You may email a scanned copy to

18. How can I study/prepare for the Real Estate Exam?

Here are links to the SC PSI Exam Candidate Information Bulletins which covers an outline of exam topics.

19. Where do I find the classes I need to take before taking the Real Estate Exam?
Document #150 and Document #140

20. How can I get a certification of licensure history?
Document #741 or login through the following link and request a license verification to be sent to the address selected. There is a $5 fee.
All information, applications and forms can be found at:


Following are the requirements to practice Real Estate in South Carolina if you have been licensed from another estate

  • All applicants must meet the requirements outlined previously for residents as to age, education, and experience. .
  • Only non-residents who are licensed in another state may qualify to take the South Carolina state exam without taking the SC qualifying courses.
  • South Carolina resident applicants must take a pre-licensing course even if licensed in another jurisdiction
  • Applicants must also submit with the application a Certification of Licensure, including history, education, and disciplinary action from each state in which they have held a license.